Maine Flash Report for 4/16/2013

Tuesday, 4/9 – Addison (Washington County) Single Family Fire.  A family of four was displaced by an electrical fire.  The home was destroyed and all belongings were lost in the blaze.  Red Cross volunteer Marcia Bernhardt met with the clients; the Red Cross provided assistance for clothing and food.

Tuesday, 4/9 – Houlton (Aroostook County) Single Family Fire.  A homeowner tripped while carrying an oil lamp, setting a bed on fire and causing major damage to most of the living area of the home.  Red Cross volunteer Lynette Dobbs met with the client; the Red Cross provided assistance for housing, clothing, and food.  The client does have insurance.

Friday,  4/12 – Orono (Penobscot County) Multi Family Fire.  A fire which started on a mattress forced the evacuation of a fraternity house on the Orono campus of the University of Maine.  16 people resided at the fraternity housing, and all were temporarily displaced.  The fire damage was contained to the mattress, but several rooms received smoke and/or water damage.  Power was shut off to building.  UMO is temporarily housing the students.  Red Cross volunteers David St. Louis, Debbie St. Louis, and Brenda Moody responded to the fire and provided 11 clients with food assistance.

Maine Flash Report for 4/10/2013

Monday, 3/18 – Skowhegan (Somerset County) Single Family Fire.  Creosote built up in the chimney and cracks in the bricks led to a house fire that left two adults homeless. Red Cross volunteer Priscilla Boudreau responded to the scene.  The Red Cross provided assistance with housing.

Thursday, 3/28 – Corinth (Penobscot County) Single Family Fire.  A family moved everything into their new home and were about to move in themselves, when it burned down in the night.  Casework volunteer Brenda Moody responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and lodging.

Saturday, 3/30 – Pittsfield (Somerset County) Single Family Fire.  A candle caused a fire that displaced a woman from her apartment.  Response Manager Danielle Hardré met with the client; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and lodging.
 
Friday, 4/5 – Augusta (Kennebec County) Single Family Fire.  A young couple and their three year old son went out for a walk and returned to smoke billowing from underneath their mobile home.  The father attempted to extinguish the flames, but was overcome by heat and smoke.  The father did manage to run inside the dwelling to retrieve the family pets.  The family had a place to go immediately following the disaster, but were provided a referral for the Red Cross by the Augusta Fire Department.  The family contacted the Red Cross the following day; Red Cross volunteer Dave Bourassa met with the family at a local motel.  Dave provided care and comfort to the family who, at the time, really needed someone to talk to.  The Red Cross provided the family of three with assistance for food, clothing, and lodging for three nights.  The clients will be staying with family until alternate housing can be arranged.