Maine Flash Report for 2/19/2013

Monday, 2/11 – Bath (Sagadahoc County) Gas Explosion.  A defective connector caused propane to leak into the crawlspace of a single-story duplex.  An unknown ignition source caused an explosion, demolishing one building, heavily damaging adjacent buildings, and shattering windows throughout the neighborhood.  One person was killed in the explosion.  Red Cross volunteers Andrew Eckman, Candice Carrier, Nita Tupper, and Linda Blanton responded to the scene to assess immediate basic needs.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and lodging, as well as emotional support, for two clients.  One of the clients stated that the day of the explosion was his first day at a new job; had he still been with his previous employer, he would have been asleep at his home at the time of the blast.

Tuesday, 2/12 – Wiscasset (Lincoln County) Single Family Fire.  A young couple and their 3-month-old son escaped from their mobile home when a shed adjacent to the house ignited. The heat of the fire caused the home’s windows to fail, rendering it unsuitable for the baby.  The State Fire Marshal’s Office investigator called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteer Andrew Eckman responded.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food (including infant formula and supplies) and lodging.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s