Maine Flash Report for 2/27/2013

Friday, 2/8 – Wales (Androscoggin County) Single Family Fire.  While attempting to thaw frozen pipes, a fire ignited underneath a mobile home.  Although the fire moved very quickly, the homeowner managed to save a pet and a few personal items before the mobile home was fully in engulfed.  The Red Cross was notified of the incident the following day by a relative.   Red Cross volunteer Janet Coy-Peters contacted the family and made plans to meet at a local motel.  Janet discussed the couple’s recovery plan and identified their immediate basic needs.  The Red Cross provided assistance for the family to purchase food and new clothing.  The couple’s homeowners insurance is paying for their hotel stay until repairs are made to their mobile home.

Friday, 2/8 – Easton (Aroostook County) Single Family Fire.  One teenager was home sick from school when a fire started.  She grabbed her cell and left the house, but was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.  Red Cross volunteers Bonnie and Dennis Drew responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, shoes, and hotel stay.  Health Services volunteer Karen Rea also assisted with eye glasses replacement, and Disaster Mental Health volunteer Pat Canavan followed up with emotional support.

Friday, 2/8 – Searsport (Waldo County) Single Family Fire.  A woman was at work during the night when her home caught fire.  Unfortunately, the whereabouts of her dog and four of her cats are still unknown.  Disaster Mental Health volunteer Meredith Hill provided emotional support.  The woman is staying with her sister.

Friday, 2/8 – South Thomaston (Knox County) Single Family Fire.  An electrical problem set fire to a mobile home, resulting in a total loss.  Red Cross volunteer Dorothy Meriwether responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and shelter for two people.

Saturday, 2/9 – Windham (Cumberland County) Single Family Fire.  In the early morning hours and in the midst of a major snowstorm, a family was utilizing a generator in the garage.  A short time later, the garage was fully engulfed in flames.  The family was forced to evacuate and ran through waist deep snow, some with no shoes on, to relatives who lived behind them.  The fire destroyed the family’s home and three vehicles.  The Windham Fire Department called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteers Greg Cormier, Kim Cormier, and Jim Linscott braved the elements and responded to the scene.  Together they worked as a team to help identify the family’s immediate basic needs.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food and clothing.  The family plans to stay with relatives until the home can be rebuilt.

Thursday, 2/14 – Mapleton (Aroostook County) Single Family Fire.  A fire originated from chimney, resulting in a total loss.  Red Cross volunteers Bonnie and Dennis Drew responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, shelter, clothing, and seasonal garments for family of five.

Friday, 2/15 – Dover-Foxcroft (Piscataquis County) Single Family Fire.  A house was totally destroyed by a fire that seems to have originated from the chimney.  Red Cross volunteer Rita Page responded.  The clients stated that they only needed clothing; the Red Cross provided assistance for clothing for three people, as well as shoes for one.  The family was insured.

Saturday, 2/16 – Unity (Waldo County) Multi Family Fire.  An apartment fire began in a boiler room around 10 am.  Only two of the units were occupied, but the fire still left four women homeless.  All four were at home at the time of the fire. They are okay, along with their two cats, and are staying with neighbors.  Red Cross volunteers Debbie and David St. Louis responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, shoes, and seasonal garments for four people.  Seventeen fire departments assisted with the blaze, which was still going at 3:30 that afternoon.

Monday, 2/18 – Mechanic Falls (Androscoggin County) Single Family Fire.  A family of three lost their home in a wind driven fire.  The family was not home at the time of the incident, and a person driving by the home noticed the fire and called the fire department.  The cause of the fire is undetermined.  The Mechanic Falls Fire Department called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteers John McElrath and Sue Goddard responded to provide immediate basic needs to the family.  The Red Cross provided assistance with food, clothing, lodging, and referrals to local social service agencies.  The family does not have insurance.

Tuesday, 2/19 – Sidney (Kennebec County) Single Family Fire.  An elderly woman managed to evacuate safely after a fast moving fire destroyed her mobile home and took the lives of three cats.  The furnace was in the midst of repairs, and the homeowner discovered flames in the furnace room after the workers left for lunch.   The Sydney Fire Department called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteer Lori Wing responded to the scene and met with the client.  After discussing the client’s immediate basic needs, the Red Cross provided assistance for food and clothing.  The homeowner has insurance and will be staying with relatives.

Saturday, 2/23 – Lagrange (Penobscot County) Single Family Fire.  A fire started in a garage around 9:00 Saturday night and quickly spread to the rest of the house.  The roof collapsed and there were small explosions, as well.  Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.  Red Cross volunteer David St. Louis responded to the total loss.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, housing, and seasonal garments for two people.

Maine Flash Report for 2/19/2013

Monday, 2/11 – Bath (Sagadahoc County) Gas Explosion.  A defective connector caused propane to leak into the crawlspace of a single-story duplex.  An unknown ignition source caused an explosion, demolishing one building, heavily damaging adjacent buildings, and shattering windows throughout the neighborhood.  One person was killed in the explosion.  Red Cross volunteers Andrew Eckman, Candice Carrier, Nita Tupper, and Linda Blanton responded to the scene to assess immediate basic needs.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and lodging, as well as emotional support, for two clients.  One of the clients stated that the day of the explosion was his first day at a new job; had he still been with his previous employer, he would have been asleep at his home at the time of the blast.

Tuesday, 2/12 – Wiscasset (Lincoln County) Single Family Fire.  A young couple and their 3-month-old son escaped from their mobile home when a shed adjacent to the house ignited. The heat of the fire caused the home’s windows to fail, rendering it unsuitable for the baby.  The State Fire Marshal’s Office investigator called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteer Andrew Eckman responded.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food (including infant formula and supplies) and lodging.

Maine Flash Report for 2/13/2013

Tuesday, 1/29 – Houlton (Aroostook County) Civil Disturbance.  The Red Cross was asked by the local authorities to provide overnight assistance for two affected families while a neighboring apartment meth lab was cleared out.  Casework volunteer Pete Marcotte responded, and the Red Cross provided two hotel rooms for one night.

Monday, 2/4 – Woodland (Aroostook County) Single Family Fire.  A woman was getting ready for work when she heard a buzzing sound. The lights went out, she switch on the breaker, and then she smelled smoke.  When she opened the door of an unused bedroom she saw flames. She and her 16 year old daughter were able to get out safely.  Casework volunteer Penny Kern responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, and was referred to Health Services for medication replacement.

Thursday, 2/7 – St. Albans (Somerset County) Single Family Fire.  An electrical fire started in the attic, totally destroying a house and all contents.  Red Cross volunteers Rita Page, David & Debbie St. Louis responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and seasonal garments.

Friday, 2/78 – Dover-Foxcroft (Piscataquis County) Single Family Fire.  A fire started from a wood stove in the kitchen and spread into an adjacent room, displacing a couple and their granddaughter.  Red Cross volunteer Debbie St. Louis responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food.  The clients are staying with family.

Saturday, 2/9 – Centerville (Washington County) Single Family Fire.  A family woke up around 7 am and smelled smoke.  Two grandchildren, ages 3 and 5, were also there.  Luckily, everyone got out safely, although their cat was badly injured and rushed to the veterinarian.  Casework volunteer David St. Louis responded to the fire, and Disaster Mental Health volunteer Clem Deveau followed up with emotional support.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and seasonal garments for the family of four.