Maine Flash Report For March 5, 2013

Saturday, 2/2 – Washington (Knox County) Single Family Fire. A fire in Washington caused extensive damage to a home. A wood stove is the suspected origin of the blaze, which entered the walls and the wiring. The homeowner was taking a nap around 6:30 p.m. when he awoke to sounds and smoke and called for help. The Washington Fire Chief notified the Red Cross; casework volunteer Lynn Barboza responded and assisted the client with food, clothing, shoes, storage containers, and a hotel stay.

Sunday, 2/24 – Birch Harbor (Hancock County) Single Family Fire. A woodstove is suspected of sparking a Sunday afternoon fire that heavily damaged a home in the Gouldsboro village of Birch Harbor. The client filled his wood stove and went for a walk to his uncle’s house down the road. A neighbor called some time later to alert the client that his house was on fire. Volunteer firefighters from Gouldsboro, Winter Harbor, Sorrento, Sullivan, and Hancock found the house fully engulfed when they arrived on the scene just before 11 a.m. The residents were insured. Red Cross volunteer Debbie Briggs responded and assisted the family with food, clothes, and seasonal garments. The client and his daughter are staying with family for now.

Wednesday, 2/27 – Corinth (Penobscot County) Single Family Fire. A kitchen fire started at a house in Corinth from a microwave explosion. The kitchen was completely destroyed in the blaze. There is extensive water, smoke, and soot damage throughout the residence, and fire crews spent three hours at the scene. The elderly couple is insured. Casework volunteer Brenda Moody responded and the Red Cross assisted with food and hotel stay.

Saturday, 3/2 – Detroit (Somerset County) Single Family Fire. A morning electrical fire was reported in Detroit. The client’s dog saved his life by licking his face to wake him up. By then, the home was already filled with smoke. He grabbed his jacket, ran outside, and called 911. His home was a total loss. Response Manager Danielle HardrĂ© responded as the caseworker, along with Disaster Mental Health volunteers Matt McDade and Carrie Moring. The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and lodging. Health Services volunteer Maread Stein also assisted with replacing medicine.

Monday, 3/4 – Troy (Waldo County) Single Family Fire. Tragedy struck when a firefighter’s home was burned down for the second time in two years on Sunday. The fire was described by longtime Troy fire chief as a “raging inferno,” and killed a dog and a cat. The family was not home at the time of the fire. Altogether, firefighters from nine towns responded to the emergency call from a passerby. Casework volunteer Brenda Moody and Response Manager Danielle HardrĂ© responded. Disaster Mental Health volunteer Jan Frost also responded after a request for DMH was made by the fire chief. The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, shoes, and lodging for three people.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s