Maine Flash Report for 2/27/2013

Friday, 2/8 – Wales (Androscoggin County) Single Family Fire.  While attempting to thaw frozen pipes, a fire ignited underneath a mobile home.  Although the fire moved very quickly, the homeowner managed to save a pet and a few personal items before the mobile home was fully in engulfed.  The Red Cross was notified of the incident the following day by a relative.   Red Cross volunteer Janet Coy-Peters contacted the family and made plans to meet at a local motel.  Janet discussed the couple’s recovery plan and identified their immediate basic needs.  The Red Cross provided assistance for the family to purchase food and new clothing.  The couple’s homeowners insurance is paying for their hotel stay until repairs are made to their mobile home.

Friday, 2/8 – Easton (Aroostook County) Single Family Fire.  One teenager was home sick from school when a fire started.  She grabbed her cell and left the house, but was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.  Red Cross volunteers Bonnie and Dennis Drew responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, shoes, and hotel stay.  Health Services volunteer Karen Rea also assisted with eye glasses replacement, and Disaster Mental Health volunteer Pat Canavan followed up with emotional support.

Friday, 2/8 – Searsport (Waldo County) Single Family Fire.  A woman was at work during the night when her home caught fire.  Unfortunately, the whereabouts of her dog and four of her cats are still unknown.  Disaster Mental Health volunteer Meredith Hill provided emotional support.  The woman is staying with her sister.

Friday, 2/8 – South Thomaston (Knox County) Single Family Fire.  An electrical problem set fire to a mobile home, resulting in a total loss.  Red Cross volunteer Dorothy Meriwether responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, and shelter for two people.

Saturday, 2/9 – Windham (Cumberland County) Single Family Fire.  In the early morning hours and in the midst of a major snowstorm, a family was utilizing a generator in the garage.  A short time later, the garage was fully engulfed in flames.  The family was forced to evacuate and ran through waist deep snow, some with no shoes on, to relatives who lived behind them.  The fire destroyed the family’s home and three vehicles.  The Windham Fire Department called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteers Greg Cormier, Kim Cormier, and Jim Linscott braved the elements and responded to the scene.  Together they worked as a team to help identify the family’s immediate basic needs.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food and clothing.  The family plans to stay with relatives until the home can be rebuilt.

Thursday, 2/14 – Mapleton (Aroostook County) Single Family Fire.  A fire originated from chimney, resulting in a total loss.  Red Cross volunteers Bonnie and Dennis Drew responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, shelter, clothing, and seasonal garments for family of five.

Friday, 2/15 – Dover-Foxcroft (Piscataquis County) Single Family Fire.  A house was totally destroyed by a fire that seems to have originated from the chimney.  Red Cross volunteer Rita Page responded.  The clients stated that they only needed clothing; the Red Cross provided assistance for clothing for three people, as well as shoes for one.  The family was insured.

Saturday, 2/16 – Unity (Waldo County) Multi Family Fire.  An apartment fire began in a boiler room around 10 am.  Only two of the units were occupied, but the fire still left four women homeless.  All four were at home at the time of the fire. They are okay, along with their two cats, and are staying with neighbors.  Red Cross volunteers Debbie and David St. Louis responded; the Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, shoes, and seasonal garments for four people.  Seventeen fire departments assisted with the blaze, which was still going at 3:30 that afternoon.

Monday, 2/18 – Mechanic Falls (Androscoggin County) Single Family Fire.  A family of three lost their home in a wind driven fire.  The family was not home at the time of the incident, and a person driving by the home noticed the fire and called the fire department.  The cause of the fire is undetermined.  The Mechanic Falls Fire Department called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteers John McElrath and Sue Goddard responded to provide immediate basic needs to the family.  The Red Cross provided assistance with food, clothing, lodging, and referrals to local social service agencies.  The family does not have insurance.

Tuesday, 2/19 – Sidney (Kennebec County) Single Family Fire.  An elderly woman managed to evacuate safely after a fast moving fire destroyed her mobile home and took the lives of three cats.  The furnace was in the midst of repairs, and the homeowner discovered flames in the furnace room after the workers left for lunch.   The Sydney Fire Department called the Red Cross for assistance; Disaster Action Team volunteer Lori Wing responded to the scene and met with the client.  After discussing the client’s immediate basic needs, the Red Cross provided assistance for food and clothing.  The homeowner has insurance and will be staying with relatives.

Saturday, 2/23 – Lagrange (Penobscot County) Single Family Fire.  A fire started in a garage around 9:00 Saturday night and quickly spread to the rest of the house.  The roof collapsed and there were small explosions, as well.  Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.  Red Cross volunteer David St. Louis responded to the total loss.  The Red Cross provided assistance for food, clothing, housing, and seasonal garments for two people.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s